A New Home for Professional Development
A top campaign priority for the Eller College in 2014-15 is the buildout of a new home for the Professional Development Center, which will become the hub for undergraduate career coaching, networking, and team collaboration.
The Professional Development Center Today
The PDC team works with students on employment preparation, including internships, skill building, and workshops. The College is moving toward a “seed to shelf” placement model, which means developing our students’ skills, knowledge, communication, and leadership qualities, and bringing some career placement functions in house.
The first phase of this transition is underway. Eller hired six career coaches with experience in industries tied to college majors to advise those students in co-developing their career plans. Freshman and sophomore students now take one-credit courses on the language and context of business and their place within it so they can create a career plan and focus on realizing it during their junior and senior years.
Our current professional development facility is barely large enough to accommodate our career coaches in cubicles and lacks professional spaces for recruitment presentations, interviews, research, and preparation. And, as companies narrow the schools they choose to recruitment from, we need to ensure that our facilities are recruiter-friendly, as well.
Eller College must bring its professional development services and amenities up to industry standards.
Where We Are
The University’s planning, design, and construction team estimates the PDC construction project at $5 million. Construction can begin when we have the funds in hand. We have selected the project architect and began planning and pre-development phases this fall. We aim to begin the design phase in January and construction is scheduled to commence in May 2015.
Your leadership and support will help us get there!
The New PDC
The new two-story PDC will fully enclose McClelland Hall on its south side. It will include:
- A 50-person state-of-the-art classroom for career training and courses and recruiter presentations
- A 20-person conference room for career presentations by alumni, mentors and employers
- Interview rooms, which also can be scheduled by students for study when interviews are not in session
- Offices for the Undergraduate Program’s Professional Development Team, including career coaches
- Team rooms, which can be scheduled by students for mock presentations
- A large, open concept, flexible student collaboration hub, to be used for study, team projects, interview practice, and recruitment events
- Basic kitchen space to allow for catering to host receptions
- A separate entrance to the outside to allow student access to the PDC in the evenings, when the rest of McClelland Hall is closed
NOW is the Time to Help
Philanthropic partnerships are essential to the creation of Eller College’s new Professional Development Center, and they ensure that the facility will remain a cutting-edge learning environment in the future.
All donors who contribute at least $25,000 in support of this important project will be recognized on the Professional Development Center’s Wall of Giving, which will be located within the new facility. In addition, the Eller College is pleased to offer specific naming opportunities within the Professional Development Center.
To learn more about naming opportunities and related benefits, please contact Kate Worland at 520.621.4121 or email@example.com.